An explanation to our sponsors about the school in Fond Verette
Founded and incorporated in 2008 in the state of New York, Friends of Haiti in NY Corp. is a unique organization whose mission is to assist the movement in Haiti towards true independence. Education, healthcare and sustainable economic development are seen as a necessary foundation for a flourishing independent democracy in Haiti.
Friends of Haiti in NY provides a fund-raising and publicizing venue for local initiatives in rural, impoverished areas of Haiti — including the school communities in Fond Verrettes and LaKay, the artisans co-operative in Verrettes, Artibonite and other projects to come. These projects are part of a grassroots movement that seeks to improve the lives of Haitians on a project by project, small-scale basis.
Our collaboration with these projects is based on the premise that these need to be run by Haitians who live and work in the community. Friends of Haiti in NY provide financial support for these projects and offers input about their goals and organization. We believe that the Haitian people understand best how development is achieved in their community. But we have to take into account that they have become isolated and cut off from the modern world and that there is a sense of discouragement about the lack of vision and planning of Haiti’s political leadership. Friends of Haiti in NY believe that helping these rural impoverished communities are not only a matter of transferring money but as importantly, providing these communities with a window on the world.
Friends of Haiti in NY focus its funding and input for 2010 in four main project areas:
- Education: Building a school in Fond Verette in collaboration with the local organization HHCAP; curriculum?
- Health care: Providing clean water to the community of Fond Verrettes.
- Sustainable Economic Development: Fanm Veret, a women’s group in Verrettes, Artibonite that makes felted sleeves for Mac Books and dolls, received funding to become a legal co-operative and will receive funding in 2010 to obtain business and leadership training. In addition, Friends of Haiti in NY has initiated a project to revitalize the growing of cotton – once a main product of Haiti. Growing and processing of cotton will generate employment amongst the poorest; it will provide women’s groups such as Fanm Veret with a local material to work with. Sustainable agricultural projects help increase food security and income for peasant families. Many of these projects benefit women, who bear more of the burden in the agricultural economy.
- Environment. The conservation of Haiti’s waning natural resources is central to all our projects. Community irrigation systems help communities secure safe and efficient water supplies
- Organizational and Leadership Training: We provide organizational and leadership development training programs for women’s associations, such as the new co-operative Fanm Veret.
Please email to: Pierre Michelle Kalil 77 south 3rd Street Brooklyn, NY 11211